A Peak at the Fun: Do you know someone that is graduating this year? This money lei for graduation is the perfect gift idea!
This year I had a niece and a nephew graduate high school (how did that happen!?). I am so proud of these kids! It is quite the accomplishment! I’m always looking for creative graduation gifts so that I am prepared for all of the May craziness. I love making money lei’s because you can customize it to ensure that the person you are giving it to will absolutely love it!
Money Lei for Graduation:
How fun is this graduation lei?! And the best part is.. it’s so easy! Just give yourself plenty of time to put it together. The folding takes the most time. So if you’re able to make all of your folds a head of time, it will be a breeze.
Remember that this is totally customizable. First, choose how much money you want to give, then decide the variety of different bills that you want to add. You don’t have to use 25 different bills like I did.. You can do more or less! Do what makes the most sense for you!
- Money (I used 25 different bills)
- Patterned / Colored Paper (Optional, I used their school colors)
- Beads (Optional, I have used the same color for one and alternating colors for another one)
- String (I used curly ribbon)
How to Make a Money Lei for Graduation:
- Decide on a pattern. I used 3 money bills, then 3 colored papers.
- Cut your paper to match the size of your money. I cut mine 6 x 2.5 inches. (Paper is Optional)
- Fold all of your bills (and paper) accordion style.
- Fold the bill in half.
- Use a small piece of tape to connect the two outer ends of the dollar bill together.
- Do the same thing to the other side of the bill so that you have a round shape.
Making a Money Lei:
Once all of your bills and paper are folded, you are ready to start putting together the money lei. Trust me, it’s easy!
- Cut your string. I made mine to be about 8ft long. Don’t worry too much about the length. You can always tie more string onto your lei or cut any excess off.
- Add a bead onto your string. Put it in the center.
- Decide what you want the pattern to look like. You can start with a dollar bill or paper. (I started with paper).
- There will be two openings toward the center of your folded piece. Take one end of your string and pull it through a hole, then take the other end of your string and pull it through the other hole. Then pull the dollar bill down until it meets bead.
- Put both ends of the string together and string them through a bead.
- Once your bead is on and next to paper or money, the trick is to pull the string tight.
- Repeat these two steps until you have used up all of your bills. (I made this money lei using the same color beads, and another using alternating color beads and I love the way that one turned out too).
- Once all of your money has been added. If you want to end with colored paper, add that now.
- You can finish this cute graduation money lei off with more beads. I love the look that it gives! (This step is totally optional).
- Leave yourself some extra string at the end.
- Tie the remaining string to the 1st bead to connect both ends.
That’s it! You’re done. How cute is this money graduation lei?! It is super simple to put together and I guarantee that your graduate will love it!
Here is the lei that I made for my nephew. Aren’t the alternating colored beads so fun?!
Have FUN making your money lei!
You May Also Like: